LoT Policy & Procedures
The LoT is a collection of non-traditional library items that complement the Comsewogue Public Library’s mission of providing quality library service at a reasonable cost to our community. This collection supports and complements the library’s interest in imagination, satisfying curiosity and fostering the expression of creativity.
Procurement of Material:
The LoT collection is developed and managed to meet the cultural, informational, educational, and recreational needs of library patrons of all ages. The library’s professional staff will select materials based on the needs of library patrons. The library welcomes input from the community concerning the collection. All suggestions for purchase are evaluated using similar selection and maintenance criteria as for other material.
Evaluation of the Collection:
The LoT Collection is continuously assessed based on specific criteria for appropriateness regarding continued inclusion in the collection based on condition, content, relevance, and demand. Items will be deselected from library collections according to the Collection Assessment/Maintenance portion of the Collection Development Policy.
Library’s Use of Things:
The library reserves the right to temporarily remove an item from circulation to use for library purposes (workshops, demonstrations, or other programs), or to repair a damaged item.
Borrowing and Use:
- The Library has a limited number of items in the collection and therefore if an item comes back late or is lost, the Library may not be able to honor reservations. The Library is not responsible if an item is returned late, so please call the circulation department at 631-928-1212 before coming to pick up your item to make sure that it is available for you!
- Items must be checked out from and returned to the Main Desk of the Comsewogue Public Library. They may NOT be returned in the drop box.
- Items may be reserved up to 60 days in advance.
- Reservations should be made for the date that you will pick the item(s) up at the library. If you pick your item(s) up late, you will lose that time on your reservation. Due dates will not be extended for items that have been picked up late! If an item is not picked up within 5 days, the reserve will be released.
- There is a maximum of 2 items per library card.
- A late fee of $10.00 per day will be charged for any item that is returned late. The full value of the item will be charged to any patron that loses or damages an item in the Library of Things collection.
The loan period of items varies by item type. Click here for an updated list. Direct access patrons may not borrow most items from the Library of Things Collections.
Lending Requirements and Agreement:
- A valid Comsewogue Public Library card
- Borrowers must be 18 years or older
- Borrowers are responsible for any damage or loss of items and may be billed for repair or replacement costs associated with damage
- Agree to the Library of Things Informed Consent Form every time an item is checked out
Library of Things Informed Consent Form
I agree to indemnify and hold the Comsewogue Public Library harmless from and against any and all liabilities, claims, actions, proceedings, damages, losses, costs and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, for all injuries of any person, or damage to any property occurring or arising from or connected with, directly or indirectly, my possession or use of the equipment.
No warranties, expressed or implied, including without limitation: suitability, durability, fitness for a particular purpose, condition, or quality have been made by the Library, directly or indirectly in connection with the equipment. I am borrowing the equipment “as is.” I acknowledge that I have examined the equipment and that its condition is acceptable. I agree to surrender the equipment to the Library in as good order and condition as when received, except for reasonable wear and tear resulting from proper use. If returned unclean, I may be charged the cleaning fee listed on the Library’s website. I agree to keep and maintain the equipment in good condition, use it in a careful and proper manner and comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
I understand that the Library does not provide supervision or instruction for the use of the equipment. I agree to refrain from using any equipment in a manner inconsistent with its intended design and purpose; or to allow a third party to use the equipment.
I agree to be solely responsible for this item and will be billed for reasonable cleaning, repair or replacement costs associated with cleanliness, damage or loss of the item and/or peripherals. A list of the replacement costs for each item is maintained by the Library and is available upon request. The responsibility to protect against loss is the borrowers.
COMSEWOGUE PUBLIC LIBRARY
170 Terryville Road
Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776